Grievance Procedure

New grievances

For new grievances, any actions you take to resolve or raise concerns about your situation will depend on things like what the problem is, how serious it is, how urgent it feels and how satisfying you think a particular step might be.

The options outlined here range from the informal to the formal. You don’t have to go through them in a particular order. You can start with any step.

1. Resolving issues informally

Talk to someone

If you need help with resolving an issue, connect with someone you respect such as a centre manager, student support person or instructor. An opportunity to talk discreetly about the issues and reflect on a resolution may be all that is needed. You can bring someone to the meeting if you don’t want to go on your own.

If appropriate, discuss options for resolution. Try to be as clear as you can about what you think would be a good and satisfactory outcome.

It is better to raise issues openly and early on, rather than suppressing them. If you don’t know who to talk to, you can contact the National Director or an instructor who can advise on the options.

Involving the National Team

If talking doesn’t solve the problem or there is an issue that feels difficult to resolve, you can send a letter to or arrange a meeting with someone from the National Team. The person who deals with your complaint should be neutral which means they won’t have been involved with what has happened so far. For example, they could be an Instructor, our Safeguarding Team or a Trustee.

In the letter or meeting you should convey what, if anything, you’ve already done to try to resolve the issue.

Options for resolution

If there is conflict with another person(s), you may request a facilitated reconciliation practice to resolve the issue together. This would be dependent on the other person’s agreement to participate.

You can bring someone to the meeting if you don’t want to go on your own.

If you don’t think involving the National Team will be helpful, you can go straight to making a formal complaint.