Easter Retreat 2014
2014 EASTER RETREAT WITH SOGYAL RINPOCHE
Full option: Saturday 12th – Monday 21st April, Sangha Only
Weekend option: Friday 18th – Monday 21st April, Open to All
We are delighted that Sogyal Rinpoche will be joining us again for our annual retreat at
Haileybury School in Hertfordshire.
Quick links for information below on the Haileybury 2014 Retreat:
- Booking Methods / Information
- About the Retreat
- About Sogyal Rinpoche
- Families on Retreat
- Address & maps
- Travel Information
Full Option (Sangha Only)
Weekend Option (Open to All)
About the Haileybury Retreat 2014
With his remarkable gift for presenting the essence of Tibetan Buddhism in a way that is both authentic and profoundly relevant to the modern mind, Sogyal Rinpoche is one of the most renowned teachers of our time.
The atmosphere Rinpoche creates is one of incredible warmth, love, and penetrating insight, as if he were speaking directly to the heart of each and everyone present.
He is often called an incredible communicator, and people around the world remark on the power his teachings have to reveal a glimpse of the innermost nature of mind and bring lasting transformation and confidence in how to face the challenges of daily life.
The retreat is residential, with a programme of teachings from Rinpoche, presentations by Rinpoche’s senior students, as well as study, practice and periods of silence. This is a rare opportunity to receive teachings, integrate, and stabilise them in the environment of a closed retreat.
Haileybury School, just 20 miles north of London, is set in a tranquil and spacious natural environment, with a variety of on-site accommodation including private and twin rooms, and dormitories. Good quality meals with choices suiting most diets are served in the school’s dining hall.
About Sogyal Rinpoche
Born in Kham in Eastern Tibet, Sogyal Rinpoche was recognized at an early age as the incarnation of a great master and visionary saint of the nineteenth century, Tertön Sogyal Lerab Lingpa (1856-1926), a teacher to the thirteenth Dalai Lama. He received the traditional training of a Tibetan lama under the close supervision of Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö, one of the most outstanding spiritual masters of the twentieth century, who raised Rinpoche like his own son.
Rinpoche went on to study with many other great masters, of all schools of Tibetan Buddhism, especially Kyabjé Dudjom Rinpoche and Kyabjé Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche. In 1971, Rinpoche went to England as a visiting scholar to study Comparative Religion at Cambridge University.
First as a translator and aide to his revered masters, and then teaching in his own right, Rinpoche travelled to many countries, observing the reality of people’s lives, and searching how to translate the teachings of Tibetan Buddhism so as to make them relevant to modern men and women of all faiths, by drawing out their universal message while losing none of their authenticity, purity and power.
Out of this was born his unique style of teaching, and his ability to attune these teachings to modern life, demonstrated so vividly in his ground-breaking book, The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. Almost three million copies have been printed, in 34 languages and the book is available in 80 countries.
Rinpoche is also the founder and spiritual director of Rigpa, an international network of more than 130 Buddhist centres and groups in 30 countries around the world. He has been teaching for over forty years and continues to travel widely in Europe, the USA, Australia and Asia.
Families on Retreat
Address & Maps
- Address for Haileybury School:
Tel: 01922 706200
- Address for Rigpa London
330 Caledonian Road
London N1 1BB
Tel: 0207 700 0185
- By air: London Heathrow (75 minutes by car/taxi), London Stansted (40 minutes) and Luton Airport (45 minutes) are within easy reach of Haileybury. London Gatwick Airport (85 minutes) is slightly further away. All airports are served by rail links to central London. Full details of train times from London and Luton to the Haileybury area will be available in your confirmation letter or you can go to www.nationalrail.co.uk to check train services.
- By road: Haileybury is situated between Hertford and Hoddesdon, about 20 miles north of central London and is conveniently located close to the A10 Cambridge Road and easily accessible via the M25, A1, M11 and A414. Haileybury’s postcode (for Sat Nav) is: SG13 7NU. Car Parking There is plentiful designated car parking in the school grounds.
- Coach service: From Rigpa London to Haileybury. The size of the coach will depend on how many people book seats, so please indicate on the booking form if you would like to reserve a seat on this service. Seats cost £11 one-way. The nearest underground station to Rigpa is King’s Cross. Buses - numbers 17, 91 and 259 – leave from York Way and stop at the Storey Street bus stop. Alternatively, Rigpa is a short taxi ride from Kings Cross. If you did not book a seat on the coach with your retreat registration, please call 00 44 (0)207 700 0185 by Friday 30th March.
- By rail: London (Moorgate, Kings Cross or Finsbury Park) to Hertford North takes 45 mins. London. Liverpool Street to Broxbourne takes 30 mins. Hertford North and Broxbourne stations are 10 mins away by taxi, costing about £9.50.
- Local Taxi Information: Broxbourne: Broxbourne Station Cars: 01992 464007 (24 hour phone line and kiosk outside station). The fare is approximately £9.00 from Broxbourne to Haileybury during the daytime. Hertford North: Lovegroves Taxis: 01992 500100 (phone answered between 6am and 2am). Fare approximately £9.00 from Hertford North to Haileybury during the daytime.